Important Facts about Puerto Plata
According to the Census Report on Children for Puerto Plata 2008:
* More than 600 children live in Puerto Plata households that earn less than $1 each day.
* 2,793 children under the age of 15 are unable to read or write their names in the Puerto Plata area. Local educators indicate these figures may be under-reported.
* 77 children a day die in the Dominican Republic ~ this equates to 2.2 children each day in the greater Puerto Plata area.
* This national report, in conjunction with a recent report published by UNICEF, concludes that the general state of vulnerable children in the Dominican Republic continues to degrade at 1% each year. Currently, 47% of the children are living in conditions that do not meet Millenium Development Goals to combat poverty. By the year 2011, more than 50% of the children in the Puerto Plata area will be living in vulnerable conditions where they are subject to violence, lack of adequate education, poor health conditions and a degrading environment.
* The report also states that one of the few avenues of hope are efforts by social workers connected to government agencies such as Conani.
* Dominican Hope is working in conjunction with Conani and the local government of Puerto Plata to combat these statistics and provide hope for the future of Puerto Plata's children.